Sunday 2 November 2008

I wish I knew how to quit him...

I saw a video clip the other day of Joaquin Phoenix being interviewed. He told the reporter he was announcing his retirement from acting. The reporter laughed it off which only seemed to irritate Joaquin so he left.

A few people emailed me (knowing the torrid crush I've had on Joaquin for years) to ask how I felt. Would I still be faithful or would I cast him aside because he's slightly weird? The truth is I considered it. I thought, maybe the time is ripe for a new celebrity crush. I do have this David Tennant fascination right now. The guy who plays Chuck is quite handsome. Jack Osbourne is a good lad. And, honestly, I'd watch Ewan McGregor read the phone book for 5 hours.

The more I thought about it the more I realized I can't. I can't give up on Joaquin. We've meant so much to each other (she says tongue firmly in cheek). I've loved him since I first saw him...in SpaceCamp (that's right, I said SPACE CAMP)...in 1986. He was going by Leaf Phoenix then.

True there were others between then and 2002 when he was in Signs. And my love didn't exactly reach epic heights until 2005 when he was in Walk the Line BUT...I adore him. Craziness and all! I don't care if he retires. I still have his fantastic oeuvre to get me through the lonely years without him. So, whatever he's doing (music, directing, selling vacuum cleaners door-to-door) I will be here to support him. Until the day I meet the man I will eventually marry at which point, it'll be a tough call.

I suppose I could post the aforementioned interview but I'm choosing not to. I want to leave you with a clip of Joaquin at his best. Until we meet again...

1 comment:

Mary Anne said...

You are so crazy....