Friday 17 October 2008

The way I left things...

I know a "congratulations" really isn't in order but I've made it this far and that is no small feat. I left the US on the 5th day of having no power after Hurricane Ike wreaked havoc on the gulf coast. Luckily I had packed most of what I was bringing with me. 

The first day of no electricity is relatively painless...especially considering my aunt had purchased a generator. So we had a cold refrigerator and one room conditioned with air. We also had a tv working though after 24 hrs of local news coverage of the storm you just lived through trust me you'd almost prefer the alternative. Day 2 I was still getting along with my relatives...both my aunts, my mom, and my grandparents. Day 2, Hour 6 I was getting antsy. Day 3 I wanted to NOT shower by candlelight By day 5 I was ready for my flight and angry about missing out on all the things I had wanted to do before I left for a year. 

The only hitch we had between Texas and London was being stopped at security (in Houston) because I had a horseshoe in my carry-on. (What else is a country girl like myself going to have for luck?) 

We bounced around the UK for a week before moving to the campus at Univ of Westminster which is where I now find myself.

1 comment:

Mary Anne said...

Can you let a girl know next time you decide to bring a horse shoe along for the ride!!..Geesh!...