Saturday 18 October 2008

I can't leave the country for 2 weeks...


...without the shit hitting the fan. Last week I got a few emails from home. "Your man got arrested!" I logged on to chron.com and there it was. The days headline: ASTROS PITCHER ARRESTED IN WEDDING RECEPTION MELEE. Seriously?!? Not MY Brandon. Arrested? He's one of the good guys. A few years ago after a Saturday night game (that the Astros lost) my friend's son, who was 11 at the time, and a friend of his chased Backe down the street as he drove away from Minute Maid Park...hoping to get an autograph. It would have been so easy for him to speed away in his SUV...the rest of the Astros did. Not Brandon. He smiled at the kids, pulled over, and signed a couple autographs. So how did this "good guy" go bad? 
He didn't. I read the reports, I watched the interviews, I've seen the mug shot. Witnesses are saying Galveston PD used excessive force. That only one person, if that, was really out of hand. What's the deal, GPD? Are you a bunch of wannabe ball players who saw your chance to take out your frustration on a hometown hero? 
And for those of you who want to say Brandon didn't have that great of a season or that he's no hero...Frankie called me that night after he got his autograph. He sounded really happy and told me what a nice guy Brandon was. THAT is what makes him one of my heros. 

No comments: