Wednesday 14 January 2009

Crimson & Clover (working title)

When I was a senior in high school I took creative writing one semester. This was a class tailor-made for me. I LOVE to write. It's one of the few things I think I can do fairly well. For our final we had to write a short story. 

So I wrote this story about a high school girl who meets a teacher outside of the school environment and they begin dating. It was something I came up with because (I think) there were a couple of guys in my life at the time (that, yes I had crushes on) who were several years older than me and I started to spin that crush into a story. 

The thing is, at the time I think I was too young to write it objectively. That and while my writing skills were decent I do think I've improved since then. Being the age that one of the two main characters was it always seemed to transfer to paper one-sided and I never wanted it to be completely one-sided. 

I picked it up again a couple years ago and started writing on it. I finished last weekend. I think I've finally reached a point where I'm satisfied with it. That is to say it is now a complete story. More could be added to it certainly and like any artist I do think it could still be improved on, greatly, but as it is right now it goes from point A to point B in a manner that makes sense. 

The short story I wrote in high school was called Crimson & Clover. This I know was for a specific reason. While the crushes on the older guys gave me the plot the genesis of the story was an image in my mind. The first time I heard the song I was sitting in my dad's truck. As soon as I heard the first line, "Oh, now I don't hardly know her" I was hooked. In my mind I heard the song and I saw a guy standing in the middle of this field. I saw him turning around and seeing this girl. That's where it started. From there I just fashioned the story around it. 
"Oh, now I don't hardly know her, but I think I could love her. Crimson & Clover." 

As it is now, it could still carry the title "Crimson & Clover". It does work. I put "working title" in quotes to show it doesn't necessarily have to have that. 

At any rate, I finished. Enough that I can stand back from it for a while...maybe get some feedback from some people and go from there. 

No comments: